We Decided to Go With a Real Estate Broker After All

by Evan

When we first decided to put our house on the market The Wife and I talked about using a real estate broker or agent for selling our home, and opted against it since the price on the home is priced way under the market.  However, after losing our buyer The Wife and I were pretty stumped how to get the word out.  We wanted to use services like Trulia or MLSLI (Multiple Listing Service for Long Island) however each site requires a real estate license to list the homes.

We researched services that let you use their number, but quickly learned that if you use those types of services you (I) could be responsible for the MLS Buyer’s broker commission which would be 2%.  If I was going to pay someone why not have that person on my side? So a couple days ago, The Wife and I decided to call our buyer’s agent with our very strict “demands”

  • Not paying more than 2% Commission
  • If we sell it on our own, we are not responsible for a commission

I figured the agent was not going to want to take the listing, but she jumped on the opportunity.  I think it either has to do with the fact that she knows she can unload the house quickly make a “few” dollars ($6,000 or so) and then make even more money when we buy our next home.  Alternatively, she isn’t that busy right now and figured 2% of $300,000 is better than 4% of nothing.

We sign the papers today, and she is already showing the home! So we’ll see what happens.

Thank you yetiloans.co.uk for your interest in this post.

You may also like


Funny about Money June 18, 2012 - 6:18 pm

Two percent! Awesome.

Good luck – I hope the house sells soon and you get a good price for it. 🙂

krantcents June 18, 2012 - 7:29 pm

A realtor should price the property appropriately and can negotiate better at arms length. Good luck.

Lance June 18, 2012 - 8:09 pm

Best of luck to you. Getting in the MLS is really important and will hopefully sell your home a lot faster 🙂

Mike Collins June 18, 2012 - 9:09 pm

Good luck! It’s a crazy market right now. We’re all set to move next month, still a million little details to deal with though.

Jeff June 19, 2012 - 9:56 am

I’d take 2% of 3k over 4% of nothing any day of the week! Hope that you’re able to sell soon.

Kathleen June 19, 2012 - 3:37 pm

Sounds like a good decision — good luck!

TM June 19, 2012 - 9:23 pm

Interesting. There is still enough of a “code” in the real estate business to severely slant things eh? I still hope to sell without an agent in the next couple years.

Jenna June 21, 2012 - 6:25 pm

That is exciting. Hopefully she / you can sell your home quickly.


Leave a Comment